“The library, arranged in related groups in several rooms, contains an almost numbing accumulation of worthy, far-flung, lost folios, a vast array of very rare compilations, a serious temptation for every bibliophile, inviting one to retreat for weeks and weeks and spend the winter and spring here reading."
... Ancient shades of the greats loom: Beda Weber, Pius Zingerle, ex libris, journals, rarities, images of saints, yellowed printed works of all kinds would demand hours, days even. What treasures could be found in these chests!” (Der Schlern magazine 10, p. 300)
This description of the Marienberg library, by Professor Paul Rossi in 1927, is even more pertinent today, as the extensive book collection has now been housed in a modern underground library, a new home to over 100,000 printed works. The entire collection was meanwhile inventoried under the initiative to open up historic libraries and is therefore now searchable. The library will also soon be accessible to the public. We know little about the history of the abbey library until the beginning of the 18th century: only when it was suspended in 1808 was a detailed catalogue drawn up of the number and content of the books there.
TIP : The catalog of all titles of the library can be accessed via OPAC
of the Free University of Bolzano
and it is even included in the South Tyrolean science catalog PRIMO
> Info’s for our visitors