Foundation church & crypt
The abbey church, which dates from the late 12th century, is entered via a stone-framed Romanesque round-arch portal, an outstanding example of the advanced stone-working techniques of the time.
The tympanum features the “Beautiful Madonna” from the beginning of the 15th century, an excellent example of the “soft style” of Gothic architecture. Our Lady is giving the Infant Jesus an apple. The church received its current Baroque appearance between 1643 and 1648 under the Abbot Jakob Grafinger. The transept was separated off and converted into a sacristy, a choir and a chapel for the prelates. The side aisles were also partitioned in order to create side chapels, while the narrow Romanesque arched windows were enlarged for better light. The stucco works in Renaissance style were realised by Florian Nuth from Innsbruck and Brother Paul Bock SJ.
Mass and prayers
Info’s for our visitors